Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tips for Designing own website

Print This Page


A friend of mine, wanted to know about designing web pages. Though it wasn’t my field, but I was instructed to learn it. They have given me some instruction.


“Design a web-page with Joomla, use all its features as much as you can and we’ll see about it. But keep it in mind, it should better be good”.

So, here I am, completely novice about web pages, trying to figure out how to do it. I thought I should share my experiences with it. Just the starting part will get you started. Let’s see if I can make a website good enough. And thought if I want to share, why not make it a post for my Blog too? That way, maybe more people would find it helping.

I was instructed to use Joomla. What the hell is that? After Googleing a little, I found out some information and decided, we can forget about it now. Why? Well it’s more like a tool for easily designing (hey geeks don’t shoot me for this) and managing a website. But we should at least know WHAT to design before starting to design.


Well, I admit, I have designed some web-page before (easy, write anything in MS Word and save as html) but not an entire website. I know how to upload a site (I used geocities.com). but that’s another story.


Well, what should I design? It was the toughest part. It took me about a month to come up with an idea. And luckily, yesterday (yes, yesterday, October 24th 2009, I’m putting it in my diary), I came up with an idea “আতেল সভা”. I again admit it’s not unique. But it hasn’t been done in Bangla, at least as far as I’m informed. What the hell is it anyway? Well, before getting into any detail, I should clear up a bit.

Why one month? Why bother what to design for so log a time. That’s the point. Anyone can build a site. In internet there are tons of Web-pages offering tutorials on the subject. And there are tons of websites offering you a free website which you can build with just few clicks “No experience required”. Then why there are tons of Web-page designer/services on the other hand anyway? The thing is, there are, in fact, tons of web pages. But how many of them you visit? How many addresses do you know? If you want anything other than normal, do you usually go direct to a site by typing the address or you search about it in any search engine? Well, I can bet many of us only knows 3 to 6 website address, Yahoo.com, Gmail.com, FaceBook.com, and finally Google.com that’s almost all. If you want anything beside these, you just look for it in either Google or Yahoo search. But what even happens if you search a thing in search-engines like Google? Have any of you tried to build the free websites I mentioned? Can you find it by searching it in the Google? No, don’t try searching by the address, try searching with the subject of your site, for example, if your one is a portfolio site then try searching “Portfolio of ” let’s see if you can find it. If you can where is it? Now try, let’s say you are a Marine Biologist, and try searching it with “Portfolio Marine Biologist”. Can you find it now? If you can is it in the first three page of Google?  Because, we don’t even care to try to find anything that is not on the first page. If it’s really urgent or if we are using the search engine (and internet) for the first time in our life, we go through all the things that come up. Else, we just get bored and try new Phrases to search. At least in my case, this is the situation.

Now ask yourself a question, then which pages are on the Google’s first page of the search result? The answer is simple enough, these are most known and most popular sites on the topic you’re searching.

Here comes the point, what makes a site popular? Well, isn’t that obvious? Its Contents. Why there are Web-pages? To give away information to the people. Now if you can’t attract people then how can you inform them? You have to think very Very VERY carefully WHY do you want to build a website. Then you should plan on the design and contents based on that reason. Which soles the question, what to design. And it is going to be covered in the next post.

[গুছিয়ে কিছু লিখা খুবই কষ্টের কাজ। আর তা যদি হয় টাইপিং, তবে তো কোন কথাই নেই। তাই আবার শক্তি সঞ্ছয় করে কাল লিখব। ]

1 comment:

  1. Great info. Lucky me I recently found your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have book-marked it for later!

    my page :: ankara web tasarim

    ReplyDelete